Here at WCS we offer music, choir, band and chimes. Our overall goal is to instill in students a well-rounded appreciation of music as a gift from God and an avenue of praise to Him. Our curriculum goals are based on the National Standards for Music Education as stated by the Music Educators National Convention (MENC):
1. Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
2. Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
3. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
5. Reading and notating music.
6. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
7. Evaluating music and music performances.
8. Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture
These goals are put into practice through singing, moving, chanting, playing instruments, reading music, and listening. Through all of this, students learn the fundamentals of music as well as what the Bible teaches us about music and how it is to be used in worship, daily life, and encouragement of others. Students have various opportunities to put these into practice through chapel, the Grandparent’s Day program, the Christmas program, and other day-to-day activities.
Music curriculum is adjusted to the appropriate grade level for each class. Beginning in preschool, students learn to explore the sounds and experiences of music. Each year the curriculum builds on this knowledge and experience. In third grade, students begin learning to play the recorder. Fourth grade students learn all about instruments, bands, and orchestras in preparation for the option to start a band instrument. Guitars are introduced in fifth grade, and sixth grade finishes the year with the annual musical. All students are also introduced to Composers of the Month throughout the school year. This introduces students to the lives of the great composers and to some of their most famous compositions.
“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach